Luci Gabel has a passion for fitness and healthy living. Her experience has led to national media appearances, published works, public speaking, and business consulting. Luci travels throughout the country offering corporate workshops, wellness programs, and educational lectures. Luci works with personal training clients in the greater Washington, DC area, and leads online virtual training programs for clients worldwide via e-mail, phone, and Skype video conferencing.
Luci has been a consultant and manager for several prominent five-star clubs and spas around the world. She was the director of The Point, a five-star U.S. government funded health and fitness club in Seoul, South Korea. She received the Commander’s Award for Civilian Service from the U.S. Department of the Army for leading The Point to its first profitable year. She also directed the personal training department at the Honolulu Club, the premier fitness center in Hawaii. At the Honolulu Club, her staff training and new service offerings led the department to higher profit margins. Luci consulted for SomaFit Fitness/Spa, a Washington, DC start-up that grew to a five-star facility under her management, in only two years. Today, SomaFit is proud to have won multiple awards and received national press from periodicals such a Yoga Journal, Pilates Style and American Spa.
Luci has a master’s degree in exercise physiology from the University of Maryland (UMD) as well as a master’s in business management from John Hopkins’ University. Her nutrition background comes from several years of study in dietetics at the University of Hawaii, the University of Maryland, and her master’s work at UMD which placed an emphasis on metabolism. Meanwhile, her master’s thesis investigated one of the many relationships between exercise and DNA, particularly the vitamin D receptor genotype and insulin sensitivity.
Luci enjoys all types of exercise, both in the gym and outdoors. Her workout currently consists of strength training, running, swimming, yoga, and Pilates. Blending her passion for fitness with her love for traveling, Luci has enjoyed expanding her worldly exercise experiences with each journey that she takes. She obtained her black belt in Tae Kwon Do from Seoul Korea, and competed in triathlons while living in Hawaii. She’s been a practitioner of yoga since her first experiences in New York City in 1993. She attended the Physical Mind Pilates Instructor Training in 1997 with Lisa Ortega Robertson in Hawaii, and has been a Pilates enthusiast ever since. Luci enjoys trying out new health clubs and spas, and finding new ways to create healthy yet delicious meals.
Luci’s Fitness Certifications and Training:
• MA, Exercise Physiology, University of Maryland College Park
• BA, Physical and Psychological Health, State University of New York at Binghamton
• Coursework in dietetics at the University of Hawaii and the University of Maryland College Park
• Certified - American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Health and Fitness Specialist
• Certified - American Council on Exercise (ACE) Personal Trainer
• Certified - American Council on Exercise (ACE) Weight Management Consultant
Luci’s Business Management Certifications and Training:
• MBA, Business Administration, Johns Hopkins' University
• Certified: American Hotel and Motel Association (AHMA) Hospitality Supervisor
• Great Front Line Guest Service Training, AHMA
• Motivation and Team Building Training , AHMA
• Quality Customer Service Training CFSC
• Internal Control Program Training CFSC